Tofu is a wonderful food item. Why? Because you can make it taste like any. single. thing. you want! When unseasoned, it doesn’t taste like much. Although some people like to eat it as is, in soups or as a side dish, I prefer to add some flavor and crunch to it.
Here’s my favorite and super easy recipe for tofu teriyaki:
- 1/2 block (about 225 grams) of extra-firm tofu, unflavored;
- 75 ml thickened Teriyaki sauce;
- Homemade teriyaki sauce: 1/2 cup (125 ml) water, 1/4 cup (60 ml) soy sauce, 1 tbsp (15 ml) brown sugar, 1 tbsp (15 ml) honey, 1 tsp (5 ml) ground ginger, 1 tsp (5 ml) garlic powder;
- Add 2 tbsp corn starch if you want to thicken it. For this recipe, no corn starch is needed.
- 1/4 cup (60 ml) water;
- 2 cloves of garlic, minced;
- 3-4 tbsp (45-60ml) of oil of your choice (ex: olive, avocado, sunflower…);
- Optional: sesame seeds, for topping.
- Wrap your block of tofu in a small towel or paper towel. Place it on a plate or cutting board, with a weight on top of it (you can use a couple of plates or a heavy-ish pan). Leave it this way for about 20 minutes to allow the towel or paper towel absorb excess water that the block of tofu may contain;
- After about 20 minutes, unwrap tofu;
- Cut up tofu in smaller blocks or the shape of your choice;
- In a small bowl, add water to thickened Teriyaki sauce. Mix well;
- Option 2: mix all the ingredients of the home-made Teriyaki sauce in a small bowl.
- Place cubed tofu in the sauce. Stir to make sure all the cubes are covered in the sauce. Let marinate for at least 30 minutes;
- After tofu is marinated, heat up oil in a large pan;
- Add minced garlic to the oil, fry until aromatic;
- Carefully place tofu cubes onto the pan, fry up one side until golden brown, then flip to the other side;
- Fry up tofu cubes until all sides are golden brown and crispy. Be careful to not burn them!
- Sprinkle on sesame seeds before serving (optional).
You can serve this tofu recipe with noodles, rice or steamed vegetables. It’s a good source of protein, not to mention delicious!
Hope you’re all having a great day, friends!